CHEM1612 - Resources for Week 12
Topics and Learning Outcomes
- recognise nuclear reactions, including the major spontaneous decay mechanisms.
- define and distinguish between nucleons, nuclides and isotopes, X-rays & gamma rays, decay series and daughter isotopes.
- balance nuclear reactions
- recognise stable and unstable nuclides
- predict the decay mechanism for an unstable isotope
- explain the main factors that contributes to effective radiation dose, including penetrating power, activity and energy
- explain the main mechanism of biological damage by ionizing radiation.
- explain the use of radioactive isotopes in medical imaging, and distinguish the information obtained from X-rays
- explain how isotope generators produce isotopes such as 99mTc for medical imaging, and give some examples of its use.
- explain PET, the generation of radioisotopes by a cyclotron, and know the kinds of isotopes produced
Textbook and eBook References
Lecture Notes, Tutorial Worksheets & Answers and Suggested Exam Questions
ChemCAL and iChem Resources
Contributed Links and Resources
You can contribute resources to this site and rank the existing resources: log in to eLearning and follow the link to 'Contribute' under 'Course Resources'.
Most Popular Resources This Week